#Storiestotell2019









For this piece I was inspired by a parade held in Saint Augustine, Florida in the early 1900s celebrating Ponce De Leon and the history of the Garden Club, including the organizations participation in this event. In this parade a Saint Augustine family would act as the King and Queen of Spain and ride on floats in the parade. I was inspired by the float and chair of Catherine Canova's, or the "Queen of Spain", float ant costume. Catherine Canova was also a member of the Saint Augustine Garden Club. For my piece I wanted to highlight the settlement of Saint Augustine by the Spanish crown through the use of dirt and a red throne. I wanted to signify the Garden Club through the use of flowers incorporated to the throne. The back piece of fabric signifies Catherine Canova's costumes as the Queen of Spain. 





Research 







Catherine Canova
Photos from the Saint Augustine Research Library 


Comments

Popular Posts