On Longing




    


"The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale"- Susan Stewart Objects of Desire

This quote reminds me that in life, I use my body to measure other objects. For instance, compared to this monument my body looks big. This manipulates the way we perceive scale in relation to our body.















"Capacity of objects to serve as traces of authentic experience"- Susan Stewart Objects of Desire

The shells, or objects, in this picture remind me of the authentic experience of the beach. These shells serve as traces of authentic experiences to individuals.




"The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three-dimensional into the miniature, that which can be enveloped by the body." - Susan Stewart Objects of Desire

This is a souvenir of my moms twenties when she lived in Jax Beach. This souvenir serves as an experience that can be enveloped by the body.






"To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen body and a trophy." - Susan Stewart Objects of Desire

This souvenir of the exotic has become a trophy in my life. My mother made it for me out of diamond jewelry that has been passed down from my family.





". . . the nostalgic input of the handmade in a 'plastic world'" - Susan Stewart Objects of Desire

The Lincoln Memorial serves as a point of nostalgia in America. This has been made in the "plastic world".

Comments

Popular Posts